Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fall Placement


"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
-- Margaret Fuller --


I've been on several interviews over the past few weeks, seeking out a fulltime placement for my fall teaching position. It has been a process of both highs and lows, and I admit that I've learned to swallow a lot of pride as it hurts to be turned down for a job when you know that you have the knowledge and passion needed for it. That said, I've tried to look at each one as a learning experience, and I've walked away from every interview with a touch more savy and a sense of renewed purpose.

Yesterday, though, was the first interview I've had that I laughed my way through. I suppose that that level of comfort is a good sign, and before I left the school I had my first tentative job offer provided that I was approved by the school's board of directors. I found out tonight that indeed I have the job! This is both terrifying and exciting!

I've spent the summer anticipating a placement at a high school, much like my summer school experience. So, I pictured myself teaching high schoolers, 10th grade preferrably and within the Recovery School District, maybe somewhere in east New Orleans. Now, I find that the school I have felt the most comfortable in is actually in the Tremé neighborhood and a charter school for elementary and middle school students.

As I said, I laughed quite a bit during the interview, and the gentlemen who interviewed me--the principal, the PE teacher, and the curriculum coordinator--did as well. In my opinion, that's always a good sign. I think that at this point I was too frustrated with the process of job searching to have any air of pretense about me. Also, as I told them when I went in, I wasn't even sure just what teaching position I was interviewing for because when I received the call for the interview on Friday it was in the middle of my granny's funeral. Needless to say, I was distracted.

So, utterly unprepared, I was taking this interview as another learning opportunity. With no pre-rehearsed answers I went in to the school yesterday, found myself floored by most of the questions but practiced a lot of thinking on my feet, and continually emphasized how much I love science, love students, and love teaching. I got down and personal, airing out a lot of my closets and personal beliefs. None of these are suggestions I would give anyone for a successful interview, and really, I'm surprised that being so candid didn't blow up in my face.

Now today I'm officially employed at McDonough 42 where I'll be teaching 7th and 8th grade science.

The universe works in wonderous ways, ya'll. Maybe that doesn't sound very scientific, but I feel like maybe I was meant to be there this entire time.

No comments: